Sunday, April 15, 2012

Minestrone Mix

I've not given up on my soups this year-- just have had a few busy weeks. That, and the warmer weather, have made my soup challenge... well, a challenge!

In any case, I was already a few soups 'ahead', and I have plans to make up for my lack of cooking since St. Patrick's Day (less than a full month). Today is rainy and dreary, so I am making a big pot of Minestrone. Mike has agreed to eat this with me all week- so here's hoping that he comes through on that promise, else I'm going to have a giant pot of soup to eat by myself.

I don't have an awesome recipe for minestrone-- so I just sort of start with the basics and then mix it up as I see fit. Here's what's in my pot today:

-an onion
-a zucchini
-leftover shredded carrot
-2-3 garlic cloves
-a celery stalk
-about 1/3 cup (whatever was left in the bag) of frozen white corn
-1 red skinned potato
-a can of kidney beans
-a can of navy beans
-a big can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
-dried basil
-dried oregano
-a large bay leaf
-about 1/3 cup little pasta stars
-about 1 cup of chopped spinach (had been frozen)
-water/broth

Basically I chopped the veggies, sauteed the onion and garlic in olive oil, and then dumped the rest in the pot (adding the pasta and potato a bit later) to simmer.

I may add some tomato paste (even though I don't tend to like it, in a dish this big I may appreciate the acidic flavor it imparts). I also have fresh parmesan to grate over top, and I may try tossing some of that rind in too.

Oh- I may toss in some peas too-- maybe some green beans if I have any of those chilling in the freezer.

Assuming we may good progress on this GIANT pot of soup (it really is that big...), I'll have a stew in store for later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment