Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Cream of 'Turkey' & Wild Rice Soup

I think that I have 2 other wild rice soups posted here already (perhaps more?) but that's because I really love wild rice in a soup. Wild rice holds its texture better than standard white or brown rice in soups and makes for a more interesting dish than the standard rices. 

Years ago, I followed a food blogger named Catherine who had an informal blog called Food Snob (which hasn't been updated in many years now). She was a mostly vegetarian who did a lot of adapting of non-veggie recipes. This soup is an example of that, as the original calls for leftover turkey. Like Catherine, I wanted to try this in vegetarian form. While she suggests simply omitting the turkey, I have made it many times with faux chicken (Gardein works well here but I think that I've also used Quorn-- and some of the newer meat subs might be even better here). I also have used a standard wild rice blend instead of instant (this Lundberg brand blend is great but I'm sure others would work well too). 

This is quite hearty and the mix of the chewy wild rice, creamy broth, veggies, and faux chicken is very filling. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment