Tuesday, October 1, 2024

French Onion Soup

I used to be a regular subscriber and avid recipe-maker of the now-defunct Cooking Light magazine. It was a great resource for interesting recipes and by the mid-2000's their online community was pretty decent for reviewing recipes too. For a while there I could have sworn they merged with myrecipes.com but I can't seem to find the older Cooking Light recipes on there any longer. In any case, I digress, but there are a few old CL recipes that I have written down and still refer to and use. This recipe for French Onion Soup is one such recipe. 

I've made this with vegetable broth (errr... Better Than Bullion) instead of beef and it is almost as good as the beefy version. This has a very rich and sweet onion flavor (it mixes red onions with Vidalias- and lots of them!). I often skip the bread on the top (but NEVER skip the melted Swiss...). I love French Onion Soup so much that I've toyed with the idea of even buying those cute little crocks to go into the oven... maybe one of these days I'll spring for them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment