Tuesday, October 1, 2024

North African Chickpea and Kale Soup

 I am surprised I didn't blog about this recipe earlier, as it has been a lonstanding favorite of mine. This soup first introduced me to saffron. I remember when I first made it I was not sure that the very pricy orange threads would be worth it... but I was wrong and I've been a saffron fan ever since! The saffron adds a buttery flavor the broth, and along with a cinnamon stick it is really a distintive flavor. Add some chickpeas and kale and it is a winner all-around. I've probably made this soup 30 times over the last few decade or so (at least 2 times/year-- oftentimes more). I've also made it for/with friends and it is different enough to be interesting, but not at all 'weird'. Susan's Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog was another one that I used to follow pretty regularly back in the day. It is worth poking around on her site if you like this recipe and want to try others. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment