Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Gazpacho: Two Ways

About 10 years ago, when my dad was living in Southern Spain, I fell in love with really excellent gazpacho. Up until that point, I had only had bland cold tomato soups, but the Spanish did it right! I came home determined to find a delicious gazpacho recipe. After much Google research on the topic, I settled on this recipe from Alton Brown/The Food Network. Indeed, it was just what I was looking for-- rich tomato flavor but with subtle other fresh flavors shining through. Oh- and it was pretty creamy too-- thanks to the 1/4 cup of olive oil in it. I made this several times, but it was an effort, given that it called for peeling fresh tomatoes, seeding, etc. etc..

Then, about two years ago, a neighbor-friend, Amy, told me that her favorite gazpacho recipe was this one. I was skeptical at first, as I was worried the tomato skins (no peeling!) would somehow make the soup texture off, but I was glad to be wrong about that! Indeed, Love and Lemons has been a trusted go-to source for recipes and this one was a hit too (perhaps the 1/2 cup of olive oil helps??). I don't know that I've made the Alton Brown version since I discovered this much easier option, but I'll keep both recipes on hand. 



No comments:

Post a Comment